Theme: Education in standardization for future managers - Needs and prospects
Promoting cooperation between standards bodies, universities and standards experts (representing companies from different sectors)
Short presentations to highlight issues and kick-start discussions. Most of the work to be conducted in the form of roundtable discussions.
Participants learn from each other: improved understanding of education needs, of existing programmes and approaches. The conference triggers the launch of new initiatives, such as: exchange of materials, new courses on standardization, extended contribution of industry experts to university courses, new or strengthened partnerships between standards bodies and universities.
Chair: Prof. Masami Tanaka (President, JSA)
|9:00 - 9:20||
Session 1: What company managers and professionals exposed to or involved in standardization need to know
Keynote speech The view of a standards leader at the forefront of a number of initiatives that have helped shape media technology and business as we know them today
Speaker: Leonardo Chiariglione
|9:20 – 10:30||Roundtable discussions mixing experts from industry, university professors and representatives of standards institutes|
|10:30 – 11:00||Coffee Break|
|11:00 - 11:45||Session 2: ISO, IEC, ITU and UN/ECE contributions to university programmes covering standardization|
Update on initiatives of ISO, IEC, ITU and UN/ECE aiming at supporting and promoting education about standardization in universities and involvement of academia in standardization
Speakers: Daniele Gerundino (ISO), Jack Sheldon (IEC), Alessia Magliarditi (ITU), Serguei Kouzmine (UN/ECE)
|11:45 – 12:45||Roundtable discussions mixing experts from industry, university professors and representatives of standards institutes|
|12:45 - 14:00||Lunch Break|
Session 3: How universities can provide education about standardization
Reflections about the role and function of universities in teaching standardization
Speaker: Michel Jaccard Senior Scientific Advisor to the Presidency and Director of International Affairs and Accreditation, École polytechnique fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL)
Introduction to the standards education programme related to Social ICT at Tokyo University Speaker: Prof. Masami Tanaka (President, JSA)
|14:20 - 16:00||Roundtable discussions mixing experts from industry, university professors and representatives of standards institutes|
|16:00 - 16:15||Closure of the workshop|
Previous News and Events
- Brief report on development of standards education in Indonesia (PDF).
- Canadian engineering school wins ISO Award for Higher Education in Standardization .
- IEC-IEEE Challenge: How does Electrotechnology Impact Economic, Social and Environmental Development? http://iecieeechallenge.info/?page_id=159
- The 5th ITU Kaleidoscope conference will take place 22 - 24 April 2013, in Kyoto, Japan. Kaleidoscope events are unique in that they bring together academics and practitioners interested in standards and standardisation, from both the technical and the socio-economic sector.
- For more information on the Kaleidoscope conference please see http://www.itu.int/en/ITU-T/academia/kaleidoscope/2013/Pages/default.aspx.
- A workshop on 'Education about Standardisation' will be held in conjunction with this conference, on 25 April. This WS is jointly organised by ITU and IEICE. Its programme will include the 2nd meeting of ITU-T's TSB Director's Ad hoc Group on Education about Standardization and a panel.
- More news and events related to standards and standardization in different parts of the world available on the European Academy for Standardization EURAS website and the Global Standards Information website http://gsi.nist.gov maintained by NIST